Discover the most innovative solutions.
While CPM has been used on countless projects, it has been found inadequate when scheduling linear projects. Linear projects are those that have repetitive activities.
Road projects, tunnels, and pipelines are physically linear projects that have the same operations repeated at each station. High-rise buildings have the same activities occurring on each floor.
The inability of CPM to accurately model the repetitive nature of linear construction include:
- the arbitrary division of repetitive activities from location to location,
- the inability to schedule the continuity of resources,
- the large number of activities necessary to represent a repetitive or linear project in a CPM schedule,
- activity rates of progress not indicated,
- a CPM schedule not accurately reflecting actual conditions, and
- a CPM schedule not providing any information on where on the project site the work is currently being performed.
Tactplan offers a solution to the problems with CPM scheduling. Using Tactplan, you can convert your Gantt Schedule to Line of Balance (Flowline). When Tactplan is used, continuous, or repetitive, activities need not be arbitrarily interrupted, ressource continuity can be maintained, and the location of the work in progress on any given day is easily determined from the schedule.